Rajya Sabha on August 5, 2021, passed the Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order (Amendment) Bill, 2021. The bill attempts to amend the constitutional list of the Scheduled Tribes as approved by the state of Arunachal Pradesh.
The bill in Rajya Sabha was established by voice vote amid the continuous protest by the Opposition parties over the subjects of Agricultural laws, Pegasus and others.
The Union Tribal Affairs Minister, Arjun Munda while notifying about the amendment bill said that it will bring equity to tribals.
The Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order (Amendment) Bill
• On the basis of the direction of Arunachal Pradesh, the amendment bill presents for adjusting Part-XV111 of the Schedule of the Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order, 1950, reporting to the State of Arunachal Pradesh.
• The bill presents for the removal of Abor Tribe from the list of identified STs in Arunachal Pradesh. The Abor (tribe) in serial No.1 will be removed, as it is the same as ‘Adi’ in serial No. 16.
• The bill also aims to substitute ‘Tai Khamti’ instead of ‘Khampti’ at serial No. 6 of the list.
• The amendment bill gives for the addition of ‘Mishmi-Kaman (Miju Mishmi)’, ‘Idu (Mishmi)’ and ‘Taraon (Digaru Mishmi)’ in serial 8 in lieu of ‘Mishmi, Idu, Taroan’ in the list.
• The bill will promote the addition of ‘Tangsa’, ‘Nocte’, ‘Tutsa’, ‘Wancho’ in lieu of ‘Any Naga Tribes’ in serial No. 10 of the list.