According to the committee of specialists, set up under the National Institute of Disaster Management (NIDM), the third Covid wave could top around late October.
Key Points to focus
- A Committee of specialists was set up as per the command of the Home Ministry, demanding better preparation for children who might be in high danger.
- This research is titled ‘Third Wave Preparedness: Children Vulnerability and Recovery’.
- The study includes aspects concerning the chance of Covid-affecting kids as well as needed approaches to deal with pandemics.
- Findings of the report
- As per the statement in the report, “paediatric facilities such as doctors, staff, equipment like ventilators, ambulances, etc are much lesser than what may be needed if a large number of children become infected”.
- There is about 82 per cent lack of paediatricians in basic health centres along with 63 per cent vacancies across community health centres.
- It records that, the third wave is already there as R-value has grown from 0.9 to 1 as of now.
- It requested to prioritise treatment among children with co-morbidities and to provide a special centre of focus on children with disabilities.
- The report indicated those kids are weak because they haven’t brethren vaccinated. They are more likely to have severe viruses as they can pass the virus to others.
Report on the second wave
According to the report, about 60- 70 per cent of children got hospitalised due to Covid had co-morbidities during the second wave of covid-19. It remarks that low immunity among children was the main cause after many developing Multi-system Inflammatory Syndrome.